visitor # 1 since Dec. 2002
Department of Radiology
Faculty of Medicine
History of Radiology Department
Department of Radiology has evolved continuously, following the changing of medical knowledge, high technology, as well as the expansion of radiological service. The art of teaching and learning processes, aimed at medical students, residents and fellows, has been developed progressively pursuing the continuing improvement of knowledge and technology.
When King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital was founded in May 30, 1914 by King Rama IV, the Department of Radiology was part of King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital right from the beginning. At that time, the x-ray machine was the type called "gas tube" which was installed at the operating room. On the opening day, the radiograph of His Majesty King Rama IV was taken by Colonel Luang Sakdapolarak, acting chief of the department.
In 1934, Chulalongkorn Hospital had invited Professor Luang Binbakaya, who was the expert in the field of radiation, to be the expert consultant to the department. He had been working with the department until 1947.
In 1939, after graduation from the study of Radiology from Berlin, Germany, Professor Khun Tawan Surawongse Bunnag had become the first full time radiologist at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. At that time, the full-equipped X-ray machine with Bucky unit was purchased for the first time in Thailand.
In June 24, 1940, there was an official opening ceremony for the new X-ray building, "Apantreepacha" which was named after Princess Apantreepacha, a daughter of King Rama the V. The building was only one floor and had been used until 1995. It was then demolished and replaced by multiple floor building which has served the department until present time.
In 1947, the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University was founded. Department of Radiology joined the University and has been a part of medical teaching program since then. Professor Khun Tawan Surawongse Bunnag was in charge of teaching the first class of medical students. In 1952, she won the scholarship to further her education in the United States of America and graduated with the Diplomate of the American Board of Radiology.
Chiefs of Radiology Department: Past to Present
|1. Professor Khun Tawan Surawongse Bunnag||1947- 1969|
|2. Professor Bisamai Aramsri||1969-1979|
|3. Associate Professor Sillawat Arthachinta||1979-1982|
|4. Associate Professor Boontiang Sitisara||1982-1986|
|5. Professor Emeritus Makumkrong Poshyachinda||1986-1990|
|6. Professor Khunying Nitaya Suwanwela||1990-1998|
|7. Associate Professor Vacharee Buachum||1998-2001|
|8. Associate Professor Somjai Wangsuphachart||2001- present|
Current Executive Members of Radiology Department
|1. Assoc. Prof. Somjai Wangsuphachart, M.D.||Chief of the Department|
|2. Assoc. Prof. Kiat Arjhansiri, M.D.||Head of Diagnostic Radiology Division|
|3. Assis. Prof. Prayuth Rojpornpradit, M.D.||Head of Radiation Oncology Division|
|4. Assoc. Prof. Tawatchai Chaiwatanarat, M.D.||Head of Nuclear Medicine Division|
|5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Anchali Krisanachinda|
|6. Assoc. Prof. Sukalaya Lerdlum, M.D.|
|7. Assis. Prof. Panruethai Trinavarat, M.D.|
|8. Sasitorn Sirisalipoch, M.D.|
|9. Assis. Prof. Nitra Piyavisetpat, M.D.|
|10. Assoc. Prof. Suputtaraporn Tapmongkol, M.D.|
|11. Assoc. Prof. Sivalee Suriyapee|
|12. Assoc. Prof. Atchara Mahayosnond, M.D.|
|13. Benjamas Punkong|
Office : Svasti-Lom Building ground floor, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok
Tel : 02-256-4417-8
e-mail address : email@example.com
Comment or suggestion please contact radiology webmaster.